The former Transbay Terminal was built in 1939 and designed to handle as many as 35 million people annually with a peak 20-minute rate of 17,000 commuters.
The Terminal served East Bay trains using the newly opened Bay Bridge. For the first time, San Francisco was directly linked by rail to the East Bay, Central Contra Costa County, and even Sacramento.
The Terminal was designed to handle as many as 35 million people annually with a peak 20-minute rate of 17,000 commuters.Ten car trains arrived every 63.5 seconds. At the time, trucks and trains used the lower deck of the Bay Bridge and automobiles operated in both directions on the upper deck.
World War II
In its heyday at the end of World War II, the Terminal’s rail system served 26 million passengers annually. After the war ended and gas rationing was eliminated, the Terminal’s use began to steadily decline to a rate of four to five million people traveling by rail per year.
Conversion to bus
In 1958, the lower deck of the Bay Bridge was converted to automobile traffic only. By 1959, the inter-modal Transbay Terminal was converted into a bus-only facility.