The Transbay Transit Center Program, including The Portal project, is environmentally cleared pursuant to the requirements of the National Environmental Policy Act (NEPA), the California Environmental Quality Act (CEQA), and their implementing regulations.
Addendum and Re-evaluation of Supplemental EIS/EIR
Beginning in 2020, the TJPA engaged in further design development of The Portal project, which resulted in modifications to the environmentally cleared project footprint. In accordance with the California Environmental Quality Act (CEQA), the TJPA prepared an addendum to the Supplemental Environmental Impact Report (EIR). The addendum analyzed the environmental effects that may result from the project modifications and concluded that major revisions to the Supplemental EIR would not be required. In January 2023, the TJPA Board of Directors adopted the CEQA addendum to the Supplemental EIR and a revised Mitigation Monitoring and Reporting Program (MMRP), which includes revisions to previously adopted mitigation measures for the project.
In accordance with the National Environmental Policy Act (NEPA), a re-evaluation of the Supplemental Environmental Impact Statement (EIS) was prepared and submitted to the FTA for concurrence. In June 2023, the FTA concluded that the changes described in the re-evaluation materials were not substantial and would not cause significant environmental impacts that were not previously evaluated.
The CEQA addendum to the Supplemental EIR, updated MMRP, and NEPA re-evaluation are available on the Documents page.
FTA Amended Record of Decision
In July 2019, the Federal Transit Administration (FTA) issued an Amended Record of Decision (Amended ROD) for the Supplemental EIS/EIR.
The Amended (ROD) is available on the Documents page.
Final Supplemental EIS/EIR
Engineering refinements to the project were analyzed in a Final Supplemental Environmental Impact Statement/Environmental Impact Report (EIS/EIR). The Final Supplemental EIS/EIR is a limited-scope document that evaluates refinements to the project as well as other transportation improvements and development opportunities associated with the Transbay Program. In December 2018, the TJPA certified the Final Supplemental EIS/EIR.
The Draft and Final Supplemental EIS/EIR are available on the Documents page and linked below.
View the Final Supplemental EIS/EIR:
- Final Supplemental EIS/EIR (Volume 1)
- Final Supplemental EIS/EIR (Volume 2 – Appendix A, Part 1)
- Final Supplemental EIS/EIR (Volume 2 – Appendix A, Part 2)
- Final Supplemental EIS/EIR (Volume 2 – Appendices B, C, D)
View the Draft Supplemental EIS/EIR:
Reevaluation of Transbay Program EIS
In January 2010, in conjunction with the award of $400 million in federal American Recovery and Reinvestment Act funds to allow the construction of the Salesforce Transit Center’s below-grade train box as part of Phase 1, the Federal Railroad Administration (FRA) reevaluated portions of the Transbay Program’s 2004 Final Environmental Impact Statement (EIS) to consider recent modifications to the train box design and to update environmental information prior to adopting the EIS. In August 2010, the FRA issued its Record of Decision (ROD).
The Reevaluation of Transbay Program Final EIS and the FRA’s ROD are available on the Documents page.
Addenda to EIS/EIR
The TJPA Board adopted six addenda to the Final EIS/EIR between 2006 and 2011, as follows:
- Addendum 1 - Modifications to the Center design and construction staging and revisions to the Temporary Terminal site plan. Adopted on June 2, 2006.
- Addendum 2 - Modifications to the Locally Preferred Alternative for The Portal, then referred to as the DTX project, including design provisions to allow future construction of a Townsend/Embarcadero/Main loop, and the delay in construction of tail tracks on Main Street pending the outcome of future rail planning studies to accommodate California high-speed rail. Adopted on April 17, 2007.
- Addendum 3 – Addition of 546 Howard Street, which was identified in the 2004 Final EIS/EIR for partial acquisition, to the list of properties identified for full acquisition. Adopted on January 17, 2008.
- Addendum 4 – Modifications to the configuration, boarding platforms, and waiting areas, bus staging areas, and street design associated with the Temporary Terminal. Adopted on October 17, 2008.
- Addendum 5 – Modifications to the exterior façade of the upper levels of the Center and a pedestrian bridge over Beale Street. Adopted on April 9, 2009.
- Addendum 6 – Refinements to Bus Ramp Project, specifically, the cable-stayed ramp, the Fremont Street ramp to I-80, and the overall bus ramp footprint. Adopted on December 8, 2011.
The addenda is available on the Documents page.
In April 2004, the Transbay Program’s Final Environmental Impact Statement/Environmental Impact Report (EIS/EIR) was certified by the City and County of San Francisco, the San Francisco Redevelopment Agency, and the Peninsula Corridor Joint Powers Board.
In February 2005, the Federal Transit Administration (FTA) issued a Record of Decision (ROD).
The Final EIS/EIR, Draft EIS/EIR, and FTA (ROD) are available on the Documents page.